BOUNCE 6bone@zephyr.isi.edu: Non-member submission from [Bob Hinden <hinden@iprg.nokia.com>]

bmanning@ISI.EDU bmanning@ISI.EDU
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 12:33:18 -0700 (PDT)

> To: Yann-Ju Chu <yjchui@ms.chttl.com.tw>
> From: Bob Hinden <hinden@iprg.nokia.com>
> Subject: Re: sub-TLA assignment document
> Cc: 6Bone <6bone@ISI.EDU>
>
> See:
>
>   RFC2450 "Proposed TLA and NLA Assignment Rules"
>
> Bob
>
> At 02:07 PM 6/15/99 +0800, Yann-Ju Chu wrote:
> >	I am looking for the document about the sub-TLA assignment rule. Can anybody
> >tell me the full name of the Internet draft to refer to?
> >						Thanks
> >						Yann-Ju Chu

Note that there is also:

	draft-ietf-ipngwg-iana-tla-01.txt

Both have a potential showstopper in that they use bit-level delegation.
This can not currently be represented in the DNS in a managable fashion.
While I can remember 4 octects, 16 is right out.
I've made some comments about this failing on this and other lists.

The comment to the author(s) is to correct/modify the draft and re-issue
the RFC with the bit shift that Bob Fink agreed to for the 6bone on
05 may 1999.  Then people who would like to deploy IPv6 can do so
without the pain of not having working DNS for address-name lookup.

--bill