Bad routes update

Masaki Hirabaru masaki@merit.edu
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 16:55:14 -0400

>> ->2) There are a lot of route flapping even within the valid pTLA
>> ->space.  A long time ago, I tried to figure out the origins, but I
>> ->gave up to continue it for all the occasions. It keeps happening.
>>
>> If we aggregate, I think we will see this diminish. many routes that flap
>> come from statics that point to interfaces that go down, etc... If we
>> aggregate, we won't see the affects of these, except in the case of yoru
>> IBGP, where you will want your own specifics.

I don't think that most of the flapping on 6bone comes from
interface up/down. And, pTLA routes are flapping, so we can not
diminish them by aggregation.

>> ->3) There are a couple of strange routes outside the 6bone pTLA
>> ->space drafting over the 6bone. We could get it covered by
>> ->imposing the routing policy rather than solving the real problem.
>>
>> Filter them. That way, they will be gone. If you look closely enough, you
>> can see 10/8 v4 space around. You just have to filter it at your edges to
>> make sure it doesn't affect anyone. While I would personally like for these
>> people to fix the problem, in this case, you can only control your own
>> routing domain, thus going around them with a filter would be just as
>> handy, and effectively the same thing.

Let me explain how they are strange. They have a strange as path
and are flapping. It would indicate something wrong on 6bone.

If the routing policy intends to solve the current 6bone routing
issues, it would not work.  It will just decrease the size of
routing table but may introduce another complexity that may make
it harder to catch the real problems.

Masaki