Bad routes update

Robert Rockell rrockell@sprint.net
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:50:22 -0400 (EDT)

->More telling, when I progressed to setting up tunnels to our first
->test router, only one of the upstream networks was willing to delegate
->any address space to me -- the others all said "you already have some
->from Sprint, just announce that to us".

your other pTLA should read the spec, and delegate you address space. If you
want another tunnel to me, let me know, and you can get rid of your other
provider.

->
->We _are_ filtering outbound route advertisements; however, we are
->restricting each one to the same Sprint-provided prefix, since that's
->all we have.
->
->This is clearly wrong, according to all the routing practices drafts
->I have seen for the 6Bone.
->
->> When Ipv6 goes live, unless business is more good-willed than it is now,
->> this is going to break things, and one pTLA may not have much motivation to
->> fix the problem (unless flames on the 6bone mailing lists really hurt).
->
->Should I be demanding v6 address prefixes from all my pTLAs?

yes.

->
->On a related note, I've looked, but I can't find the recommended solution
->to the following problem; I also asked Steve Deering about this during
->his IPv6 tutorial at Apricot this year, and at the time he didn't know the
->operational policy on this either (although he could have been trying
->to encourage me to stop asking stupid questions by feigning ignorance :)
->
->  o  NLA is multi-homed to several pTLAs;
->  o  Each pTLA delegates a v6 address prefix to that NLA;
->  o  NLA has a customer who needs addresses.
->
->Does the NLA delegate one prefix to the customer per pTLA?
->
->Does the customer then delegate address(es) from each supplied prefix
->to every interface they have to number in their network?
->
->Given that the reason we are (and will be) multi-homed is for resilience,
->and reduce dependency on any single upstream provider, if I don't
->announce all prefixes to all providers we're never going to get TCP
->sessions (as they exist now) to survive a "pTLA down" event.
->
->At the moment it looks like the only way to multi-home in the manner
->that we are used to with IPv4 is to become a (p)TLA.

or dual-assign and cry for TCPng to fail you over :)