Bad routes update

Richard Draves richdr@microsoft.com
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 23:16:48 -0700

> More telling, when I progressed to setting up tunnels to our first
> test router, only one of the upstream networks was willing to delegate
> any address space to me -- the others all said "you already have some
> from Sprint, just announce that to us".

They were wrong...

> Should I be demanding v6 address prefixes from all my pTLAs?

Yes.

> On a related note, I've looked, but I can't find the
> recommended solution
> to the following problem; I also asked Steve Deering about this during
> his IPv6 tutorial at Apricot this year, and at the time he
> didn't know the
> operational policy on this either (although he could have been trying
> to encourage me to stop asking stupid questions by feigning
> ignorance :)
>
>   o  NLA is multi-homed to several pTLAs;
>   o  Each pTLA delegates a v6 address prefix to that NLA;
>   o  NLA has a customer who needs addresses.
>
> Does the NLA delegate one prefix to the customer per pTLA?

Yes, you should give your customer multiple prefixes in this situation.

> Does the customer then delegate address(es) from each supplied prefix
> to every interface they have to number in their network?

Yes, the customer's interfaces will get multiple addresses.

> At the moment it looks like the only way to multi-home in the manner
> that we are used to with IPv4 is to become a (p)TLA.

We're trying to avoid that.

> I'm confused :) If someone could point me towards some
> written words on
> this stuff, I would be very appreciative.

There were some presentations on this (although not from a 6bone operational
viewpoint) last week at the second IPNG meeting in Oslo - look for the
minutes.

Thanks,
Rich