FW: IPv6: Enet. problem

Richard Draves richdr@microsoft.com
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:26:37 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Draves
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 1999 9:49 AM
To: 'J. Marsman'
Cc: 6bone@ici.edu; msripv6-users@list.research.microsoft.com
Subject: RE: IPv6: Enet. problem

> We are trying to set up an IPv6 network for testing QoS and
> IPv6 Sec. At
> the moment we have two Win NT 4.0 machines configured with IPv6, these
> two machines can Ping each other. After this we configured a Linux
> machine with kernel 2.2.1 and so on. This machine can ping itself and,
> as far as we can see, works fine.
> The problem is we cannot ping the NT machine from the Linux machine or
> the Linux machin from the NT machine.
> After some packet sniffering with NetMon with the IPv6 update from
> microsoft we found that on ethernet level the ping from the NT machine
> used Etype: 0x0800.
> On the other hand the ping from the linux machine used Etype
> 0x86DD, as
> far as we know this is the standard etype for IPv6.
>
> Can this differenc in etype be a problem? Are there known
> problems with
> pinging from NT to linux and backwards? HOw to solve......

Our implementation uses the standard ethertype and it does interoperate with
Linux.

I suspect that you are confusing the 6over4 interface/link-local addresses
with the ethernet interface/link-local addresses. When you use the "ipv6 if"
command to list the interfaces on your NT machine, it will show an ethernet
interface and a 6over4 interface. (You can tell them apart because the
6over4 interface will have a v4 address as its link-layer address.) Be sure
to use the ethernet interface and its associated addresses when
communicating with Linux.

Rich