stla registry db issue

Brian E Carpenter brian@hursley.ibm.com
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 16:33:12 -0600

"Wilfried Woeber, UniVie/ACOnet" wrote:

> >OK, as long as we never see anything longer than a /29 from the outside, of course.
> >That is what matters.
> >
> >   Brian
>
>   Brian,
>
>   so what are we supposed to do with the /35 sTLA allocations that
>   the RIRs dish out for permanent (as opposed to 6bone) addresses?

The RIR policy is to reserve the whole /29 for expansion of the /35.
They promised never to allocate parts of the same /29 to more than
one user.

Therefore, the /35 can be announced simply by announcing the whole /29
that contains it. There will never be anyone else in that /29, so there
is no need to announce the longer prefix.

We must establish this principle solidly now, so that we **never** see
holes punched in /29s.

  Brian