stla registry db issue

Brian E Carpenter brian@hursley.ibm.com
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 14:24:18 -0600

OK, as long as we never see anything longer than a /29 from the outside, of course.
That is what matters.

   Brian

Bob Fink wrote:

> Brian,
>
> At 11:21 AM 12/22/99 -0600, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>
> > Well, here is the key text from RFC 2374. (there is no reason it should
> > be different in subTLA space):
> >
> >    ...It is recommended that
> >    organizations assigning NLA address space use "slow start" allocation
> >    procedures similar to [RFC2050].
> >
> >    The design of an NLA ID allocation plan is a tradeoff between routing
> >    aggregation efficiency and flexibility.  Creating hierarchies allows
> >    for greater amount of aggregation and results in smaller routing
> >    tables.  Flat NLA ID assignment provides for easier allocation and
> >    attachment flexibility, but results in larger routing tables.
> >
> > My concern is that the way Kazu asked his question, with the concern about
> > frequent updates, did not seem compatible with the idea of slow start and
> > hierarchical aggregation. If we don't start with habits that create aggressive
> > aggregation, IPv6 routing will be in deep trouble as it grows.
> >
> > I also have a concern that if an operator is really an ISP, giving them an
> > NLA instead of a subTLA may be a problem until we have proved how to do
> > convenient renumbering. What happens when they want to migrate away from using
> > WIDE as their aggregator? (I realise that this is a heretical thought, since
> > the current rules on subTLAs are more restrictive.)
> >
> > However, I agree that Kazu is not describing a strict violation of the RFCs.
>
> Sorry I misinterpreted your concern, but at least it is clear to me now.
>
> I've never discouraged anyone from trying to hand out intermediate transit NLAs between the subTLA (or pTLA) holder and the
> end-user site (/48), and I think what the WIDE folk are doing is just fine.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

Brian E Carpenter (IAB Chair)
Program Director, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM
On assignment for IBM at http://www.iCAIR.org
Attend INET 2000: http://www.isoc.org/inet2000
Non-IBM email: brian@icair.org
Ethernet address: 00-00-AC-CF-5B-82