Linux operating system kernel versions

kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 19:30:10 +0300 (MSK)

Hello!

> In actuality, though when I load IPv6 module with 'insmod ipv6'
> command, and run 'lsmod' command, it concerns me when I see (-1) in
> the 'Used' column.

It means that IPv6 module is _not_ unloadable. You can load it once.

> 	However 'tr0' never gets self-configured.

Autoconfiguration is supported _only_ on ethernet interfaces.
Nobody of folks having access to token ring took care of sending
a patch to calculate eui64 tokens and to map multicast addresses
for token ring.

The problem is that existing specs for IPv6 over tr are _expired_
long time ago, so that implementor have to verify against any existing
implementation.

> Later when I want to
> unload 'ipv6' module, having de-ifconfig all of the IPv6 interfaces,

You choosed a strange method to deconfig IPv6 interfaces.
Use ifconfig instead.

> I find that the module is still busy.

It is correct. IPv6 module cannot be unloaded.

> Yes, my friend submitted it but it didn't get through for some reason.

I did not receive any patches handling token ring for last two years.

Alexey Kuznetsov