6bone Prequalification for Sub-TLA assignment

Jim Bound bound@zk3.dec.com
Thu, 08 Apr 1999 01:27:36 -0400

Nathan,

Well said and we need to get vendors to commit to what and when they are
shipping "publicly".

Most of us have early adopter kits.  I first would suggest discussing
making those kits production enabled until they hit base products. To
get that done requires a request from a customer using IPv6.  It would
be hard but not impossible.

One important issue is what applications from the Host platform must have
been ported for the first release?  The list we have now is:

Net Utilities (ping, finger, ifconfig....etc)
FTP, TELNET
WWW Server and Browser
Sendmail and SMTP
GATED and ROUTED
Routing DAEMONS
6over4
NFS ????

Will this do it initially?  If not what else do you need?

Compaq Tru64 UNIX will provide in the upcoming 5.0 release the IPv6
Sockets API to begin porting to IPv6 this should be on the streets
summer 1999.  Our kit will continue at some level.

The next release which will be early 2000 will have the above is the
strategy.  But what else do you need in that release?

But again if the vendors are willing to harden their early adopter kits
for production they first need to hear that someone wants them NOW.
It is possible given enough requests to begin discussions.

Also note the above assumes all are compliant to the core specs and a
few others I think will be needed like DHCPv6, until stateless can
really be managed which it will not initially.

Also transition is affected by the fact if the new IPv6 nodes deployed
need to talk out on the Internet (not Intranet) to IPv4 nodes?

Also do you want to give subscribers IPv6 addresses?

I also suggest you forward this and an actual request to
users@ipv6.org with an initial RFI to see what comes back to you.

thanks
/jim