6bone Prequalification for Sub-TLA assignment

Seth David Schoen schoen@uclink4.Berkeley.EDU
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 13:03:07 -0700

Jim Bound writes:

> >> I don't think the IETF (the entity) is associated with the 6bone in a
> >> manner that would cause one to have concern, and we should clear that up
> >> if folks do think this.  The people working on the 6bone also
> >> participate in the IETF, and the work is presented at IETF meetings but
> >> the IETF does not bless or veto stuff we do on the 6bone?  Or am I missing
> >> something more subtle?
> >
> >The 6bone is an IETF activity:
> >
> >http://www.6bone.net/
> >
> >   The 6bone is an IPv6 testbed to assist in the evolution and deployment
> >   of IPv6, often referred to as IPng ..., in the Internet.  The 6bone
> >   activity is part of the ngtrans effort under the IETF.
>
> Well this is written wrong IMO and should say in the last sentence.
>
> The 6bone activity is an effort by implementors to assist with verifying
> the work on IPv6 within the IETF.  State and evolution of this activity
> is discussed and reported on at the IETF ngtrans WG.
>
> For example if we want to expand the 6bone to connect to StarWars
> Network on Planet Mars we don't have to go get approval from the IETF or
> the IESG.  As their job is to work on protocols and operational
> characteristics of those protocols.  It is the 6bone participants that
> make the decisions and direction of the 6bone not the IETF.
>
> So the above sentence is wrong IMO.
>
> http://www.6bone.net/ngtrans/
>
>    The IPng Transition (ngtrans) working group of the IETF is under the
>    Operations and Management Area, and has as its overall goal assisting
>    in and promoting the transition to IPv6, the next generation Internet
>    protocol chosen by the IETF community.
>
>    Current ngtrans efforts are divided into two separate activities:
>    tools and the 6bone.
>
> This is clearly wrong because the IESG or IAB got nothing to say about
> how we operate and promote the 6bone.
>
> Thanks for catching this error.
>
> So how do we fix this?
>
> I suggest we update the wording at both places.

I think Bob Fink wrote most, if not all, of those pages, so I'll wait for what
he has to say about how to interpret them.

I don't think that "being an IETF activity" means that the IETF necessarily
micromanages or even sets policy for something; as I understand it, it just
means that the IETF endorses something and believes that it serves an IETF
function.  But I've never read an official definition of "IETF activity".

I didn't mean to suggest that the IETF would "bless or veto" particular
6bone decisions, just that there does exist an association between them.

--
              Seth David Schoen / schoen@uclink4.berkeley.edu
He said, "This is what the king who will reign over you will do."  And they