6bone Prequalification for Sub-TLA assignment

Seth David Schoen schoen@uclink4.Berkeley.EDU
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 16:22:18 -0700

Smirk35@aol.com writes:

> Just an observer,
>
> Maybe giving the community a section of IPv6 as we do with (IPv4 10.x.x.x) so
> that the community will be able to use it as a test bed and then allow the
> pTLA submit a small addressing of IPv6 for access to 6bone like most of the
> world does with IPv4 Internet access with class-C's.
>
> Pricing the block of addresses would deter the small business wanting a very
> large block of IPv6.  Low cost on small blocks and tracking the number of
> blocks by that company so as not to accumulate 100s of small blocks by the
> same company.

There's certainly nothing wrong with testing allocations, but there's already
a working IPv6 testing allocation (3FFE); I haven't heard of any plans to
take it back or to shut down the 6bone just because production allocations
are coming up.

Network 10 in IPv4 isn't really for "testing": it's intended for production
use on private networks.  (RFC 1657, RFC 1918)  Private networks -- at least
"permanent" or structurally private networks that cannot possibly be directly
connected to the Internet -- are deprecated.

In the old days of IPv4, there was no charge for IPv4 allocations.  (Some
people I know managed to get portable class C allocations when they were
fourteen to sixteen years old, without particularly extensive justification
about what they were going to do with them.  That's how liberal the
allocations were before the Internet became a household word.)

There's no reason that people should be paying for IPv6 addresses themselves,
since IPv6 was deliberately designed so as to make addresses non-scarce.
Of course, registrants may well need to pay a filing fee to meet the
administrative costs of the registries, but there is no reason that they
should pay for the actual address delegations.

Remember that these addresses are _addresses_, which exist in mathematical
spaces and not in the physical world, and that the addressing and allocation
schemes are being designed in advance by people to meet their requirements.
If everything is done right, there should be no scarcity of addresses, and
consequently no need to pay for them, and no market for them.

--
              Seth David Schoen / schoen@uclink4.berkeley.edu
He said, "This is what the king who will reign over you will do."  And they