(ngtrans) Re: What NGTrans is about (Re: scheduling for August IETF)

Bob Fink rlfink@lbl.gov
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 10:45:13 -0700

Peter,

At 09:59 PM 6/23/98 +0400, peter dawson wrote:
>Bob
>
>Just a matter of academic curiosity. With the nIANA doing work with the
>Improvement of Technical Management of Internet Names and Addresses also
>known as the "Green Paper",  won't this effect the bigger picture
>in context of real IPv6 addresses ??

The primary work going on at this time to ready for IPv6 address allocation in the "Aggregatable Unicast" space is being done by the regional address registries (RIPE, ARIN and APNIC) with some comment and oversight by the IANA.

The I-D just issued (see below) is the IETF's current input (at least IPng WG's input) to the registries, with the registries participation and input to it as well from the Stockholm RIPE meeting of several weeks ago.  This I-D now will have to go thru some process at the IAB/IESG/IETF to issue it as an RFC of some type for the IANA and registries use.

I doubt that the "Magaziner" efforts underway, and reported in the newest "whitepaper(?)" just released, will materially affect this process as this process seems consistent with it (at least the way I read it).

Bob

---