ipv6 native in the registry

Marc Blanchet Marc.Blanchet@viagenie.qc.ca
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 15:01:01 -0400

David,
	I'm in the process of registering native ipv6 links, since we are making a national ipv6 native network.  Since the registry has been upgraded to RPSL, any progress on this or do we still stick with the IPv6 in IPv6 hack?

Regards, Marc.

At 14:31 98-04-29 -0700, davidk@ISI.EDU wrote:

>Bob, Marius,
>
>Bob Fink writes:
>>
>> At 02:54 PM 4/29/98 +0200, Jan Marius Evang wrote:
>> >How Should I indicate that two sites are connected, not by a tunnel,
>> >but by an ATM link?
>>
>> Goos question.  The ipv6-site description:
>>
>> 	http://www.ISI.EDU/~davidk/6bone/draft-ietf-ngtrans-6bone-registry-02.txt
>>

>> doesn't seem to have anything specified but tunnels for links.
>>
>> I've cc'd David Kessens on this, maybe he has a a good idea how to do this
>> (time for an addition to the ipv6-site object?).
>
>So far, we have gotten around this by doing something that is strictly not
>correct, but works for now ... :
>
>use 'IPv6 in IPv6' as the encapsulation in a tunnel attribute
>
>I do think that this should be fixed. However, fixing this probaly
>opens up a can of worms since we will find all kind of other problems
>that needs fixing too. In the end we will find that we most likely
>need to move to RPSL. RPSL has much more power to specify what you
>want.
>
>Although I would like it to be different, I am not entirely ready to
>introduce the full power of RPSL right now (we are currently busy with
>the transition to RPSL for the IPv4 world) and therefore it might be
>best to use the 'IPv6 in IPv6' trick for the coming months.
>
>I am willing to do a quick fix if people indicate that that is
>preferred, but I would rather go for a more consistent solution that
>will take a bit more waiting time from you,
>
>David K.
>---

Marc Blanchet			| Marc.Blanchet@viagenie.qc.ca
Viagénie inc.			| http://www.viagenie.qc.ca
3107 des hôtels		| tél.: 418-656-9254
Ste-Foy, Québec		| fax.: 418-656-0183
Canada, G1W 4W5		| radio: VA2-JAZ
pgp :57 86 A6 83 D3 A8 58 32 F7 0A BB BD 5F B2 4B A7
Auteur du livre TCP/IP Simplifié, Éditions Logiques, 1997