Requirments for IPv6 routers

Dimitry Haskin dhaskin@nexabit.com
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 16:10:28 -0400

	From:	Harald Tveit Alvestrand
[SMTP:Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no]

	My somewhat biased opinion:

	The "requirements" documents (on routers and hosts) were done
mainly because
	there were errors or omissions in the base documents that
experience showed
	were important to correct, but the decision at the time was that
opening
	up the base documents for modification would be a Bad Thing.

	I would hope that the IPv6 docs, which are still at Proposed
Standard,
	can be clarified in the progression to Full Standard so much
that most
	of the "fixes" in the "requirements" documents are not needed.

Yes, this has been a premise as far as I remember.

	The current crop of "ngtrans" requirements are documenting what
we
	think *at this point in time*, in *this* situation, which I
think is
	a Good Thing, but not a permanent feature of the IPv6 scene.

True too.

Dimitry

Dimitry Haskin
Nexabit Networks, Inc.	http://www.nexabit.com