Requirments for IPv6 routers

Harald Tveit Alvestrand Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no
Tue, 02 Jun 1998 10:59:56 +0200

My somewhat biased opinion:

The "requirements" documents (on routers and hosts) were done mainly because
there were errors or omissions in the base documents that experience showed
were important to correct, but the decision at the time was that opening
up the base documents for modification would be a Bad Thing.

I would hope that the IPv6 docs, which are still at Proposed Standard,
can be clarified in the progression to Full Standard so much that most
of the "fixes" in the "requirements" documents are not needed.

The current crop of "ngtrans" requirements are documenting what we
think *at this point in time*, in *this* situation, which I think is
a Good Thing, but not a permanent feature of the IPv6 scene.

                             Harald A

Harald Tveit Alvestrand
IETF Area Director, Operations and Management
NOTE: No longer Area Director for Applications.