Support for dynamic sites in the registry

Peter Curran pcurran@ticl.co.uk
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 00:50:56 +0000

David

>> Should I create and delete the registry entries on demand, as the tunnels
>> and prefixes are created? Should this sort of information even go into the
>> registry?
>
>What do you mean by static ?!?

Sorry - didn't mean to insult your baby!  By static I mean that it is a
record of what was, not what is!

>You can send as many updates/deletes as you want and changes are visible
>within seconds.
>
>I think it is up to you to decide if you want to spend the time
>registering information that will be worthwhile for only a week. The
>advantages of registering such temporary data are probably not very
>important from an operational perspective. However, I would advise to
>register the /44 inet6num object with appropriate remarks: line so that
>people at least can find out where the IPs come from when they show up on
>the 6bone,

That is a good point - I will register an inet6num object straight away.

I think I will have a go at including the insertion of the site info into
the database within the current automated
setup procedures.  I think it will be useful to show students of the
training course that the site they are operating from does have an entry in
the registry - it helps to sponsor the importance of the registry.

Thanks for your input

Peter

TICL/UK