survey on expected transition dates for the 6bone

Bob Fink RLFink@lbl.gov
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 08:10:12 -0700

6bone Folk,

As you have seen on this list, we have had much discussion on what might be
intended for a conversion (on the 6bone) to the new aggregatable address
format.  Based on the IPng meetings, and what it says in the new I-D for
IPv6 Addressing Architecture, the intention of the new Aggregatable Global
Unicast Address format is to replace the previous Provider-Based Unicast
Address format.

It is even the case that, in the new address architecture I-D, that the
reservation for Geographic-Based Unicast Addresses goes away as well.

We need to make the conversion to the new format (on the 6bone) as cleanly
and as soon as reasonable to facilitate testing of all parts of the new
address format.

At the Munich 6bone meetings we also set an initial timeline of:

===from the 6bone backbone meeting minutes
"4. that the old testing addresses (RFC 1897) be discontinued on the
backbone as early as October 1 (by sites already renumbered) and not later
than November 1 when the newly addressed backbone is scheduled to be fully
online."
===

So...my question is, is this reasonable?

I would like to ask 6bone participants (all sites, not just backbone sites)
to send to this list their estimate of ability to convert to the new
address format, and when they believe it could be done.

I'll compile and broadcst the list as it accumulates so we can all see what
the problems are with implementations and timelines.

Thanks,

Bob

FROM THE OLD AND NEW ADDRESS ARCHITECTURE DOCS
draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v2-02.txt                           [Page 6]

INTERNET-DRAFT        IPv6 Addressing Architecture             July 1997

      Allocation                            Prefix         Fraction of
                                            (binary)       Address Space
      -----------------------------------   --------       -------------
      Reserved                              0000 0000      1/256
      Unassigned                            0000 0001      1/256

      Reserved for NSAP Allocation          0000 001       1/128
      Reserved for IPX Allocation           0000 010       1/128

      Unassigned                            0000 011       1/128
      Unassigned                            0000 1         1/32
      Unassigned                            0001           1/16

      Aggregatable Global Unicast Addresses 001            1/8
      Unassigned                            010            1/8
      Unassigned                            011            1/8
      Unassigned                            100            1/8
      Unassigned                            101            1/8
      Unassigned                            110            1/8

      Unassigned                            1110           1/16
      Unassigned                            1111 0         1/32
      Unassigned                            1111 10        1/64
      Unassigned                            1111 110       1/128
      Unassigned                            1111 1110 0    1/512

      Link-Local Unicast Addresses          1111 1110 10   1/1024
      Site-Local Unicast Addresses          1111 1110 11   1/1024

      Multicast Addresses                   1111 1111      1/256

--
Hinden & Deering            Standards Track                     [Page 5]

RFC 1884              IPv6 Addressing Architecture         December 1995

        -------------------------------    --------       -------------
        Reserved                           0000 0000      1/256
        Unassigned                         0000 0001      1/256

        Reserved for NSAP Allocation       0000 001       1/128
        Reserved for IPX Allocation        0000 010       1/128

        Unassigned                         0000 011       1/128
        Unassigned                         0000 1         1/32
        Unassigned                         0001           1/16
        Unassigned                         001            1/8

        Provider-Based Unicast Address     010            1/8

        Unassigned                         011            1/8

        Reserved for Geographic-
        Based Unicast Addresses            100            1/8

        Unassigned                         101            1/8
        Unassigned                         110            1/8
        Unassigned                         1110           1/16
        Unassigned                         1111 0         1/32
        Unassigned                         1111 10        1/64
        Unassigned                         1111 110       1/128

        Unassigned                         1111 1110 0    1/512

        Link Local Use Addresses           1111 1110 10   1/1024
        Site Local Use Addresses           1111 1110 11   1/1024

        Multicast Addresses                1111 1111      1/256

-end