query re IPv6 URL format

Francis Dupont Francis.Dupont@inria.fr
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 20:08:07 +0200

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   > Personally I think the right thing to do is to kill literals
   > (IPv4 literals too)!

   Although user-friendliness calls for killing literals, as you suggest
   Francis, I believe it would be a serious mistake to do it:

   ... (some good arguments)

   Literals are an essential feature that we must preserve, else it will
   become impossible to operate the networks.

=> I have changed my mind. I'd still like to kill literals but without
killing the functionality. The best proposal I saw is to use names in
the ip6.int domain. They have strictly the same information than literals,
but they are full standard DNS names and very easy to recognize, parse
and use (ie reverse). I know only one drawback: one has to use a tool
in order to get it (here I use "nslookup -debug -type=ptr" and cut & paste).
For instance the address:
    3ffe:306:1051:8300:220:feff:fe00:8781
becomes the name:
    1.8.7.8.0.0.e.f.f.f.e.f.0.2.2.0.0.0.3.8.1.5.0.1.6.0.3.0.e.f.f.3.ip6.int
Another advantage is this solution is general and can be used for
all the cases (URL, X11, RFC 822, ...).

Regards

Francis.Dupont@inria.fr