query re IPv6 URL format

Francis Dupont Francis.Dupont@inria.fr
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 11:07:06 +0200

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   Has anybody implemented a Web browser that accepts IPv6 numeric
   addresses as part of a URL, and if so what format did you use?

   (to be clear, I am after the IPv6 equivalent of
   the existing URL format such as http://194.196.110.160/~bc/ )

   (also to be clear, the RFC 1884 syntax will break existing
   browsers)

=> I believe the agreement is to implement only the name format
for URL and X11 displays (in both cases hexadecimal litteral addresses
break the whole thing). I know there is something similar in IETF minutes
for RFC 822 (ie bc@[194.196.110.160] has no equivalent for IPv6).
It is not a problem because IPv6 litterals are not for humans, ie
not very suitable for good user interfaces...

Regards

Francis.Dupont@inria.fr