6bone.net now active

davidk@isi.edu davidk@isi.edu
Thu, 15 May 1997 13:49:24 -0700 (PDT)

Philip,

Philip Blundell writes:

> On Thu, 15 May 1997, Bob Fink wrote:
>
> > This might be a lot of work.  I do think all backbone border routers (and
> > maybe the transits as well) could be named like this.
> >
> > As we are trying to emulate a real network, maybe we should treat the
> > "leaf" sites as the users and thus not part of the 6bone.net domain.
>
> I think it would be useful to have leaf sites in the 6bone.net domain as
> well, though maybe under some subdomain of it.  Perhaps I'm alone, but I
> find that connectivity is still sufficiently flaky that I want to ping
> other sites fairly often - and it would be a lot easier to say "ping
> uunet-uk.6bone.net" than to have to look up their RIPE entry and dig out
> the IPv6 address.
>
> I've added entries for the sites to which I have tunnels to my local DNS
> for just this purpose.
>
> Is there any way to automatically generate a zone file from the RIPE
> registry?

Yes. this is possible. However, I think that Alain is right that this is
not desired. There is a simple solution for your problem (when we start
using the new routing registry) with a little script that does something
like this:

Command:

rrping ipv6-site

- gets object 'ipv6-site' from routing registry with whois
- gets first application: ping line
- does a ping to the site as specified in the routing registry

David K.

PS I am willing to write such a script and post it if you think that it
   is useful.
---