ASNs and 1897 (was: Getting attached...)

bound@zk3.dec.com bound@zk3.dec.com
Tue, 04 Mar 97 22:17:49 -0500

Here is the issue for not having a unique ASN.  I have to justify it.
I have to do this in my spare time sorry.  What I have to say is I am
using IPv6 on the 6bone, etc. etc.. It will interesting if I get the
unique ASN.  See attached.

/jim

Autonomous System (AS) is used for exchanging external routing information
with other ASes through an exterior routing protocol.  It is a connected
group of IP networks which has a single and clearly defined routing policy.

Unique Autonomous System Numbers (ASNs) are required for specific ASes.
However, due to the finite number of available ASNs, care must be taken to
determine which sites require unique ASNs and which do not.

Those requests that do not require a unique AS should utilize one or more
of the ASNs reserved by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) for
private use.  Those numbers are: 64512 through 65535.

The following conditions must be met before being assigned a unique
Autonomous System Number:

Unique Routing Policy

An AS is only needed when you have a routing policy which differs from your
border gateway peers.

	a) Unique Routing Policy

	   Please explain how your routing policy is different from your
           provider.