multistack migration issues

W. Richard Stevens W. Richard Stevens" <rstevens@kohala.com
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 16:42:55 -0700

[In your message of Jul 11,  1:10pm you write:]

>   In this mixed environment, I was stuck.  I didn't have a reverse-lookup
> for ::ffff:132.241.66.6 and, while I could bloat up DNS with all of my
> local addresses, that doesn't do anything for the rest of the world.  In
> my port, I decided to try it and, if it failed and the non-IPv4 portion
> of ::ffff:132.241.66.6 was ::ffff:0, I'd try a regular IPv4 reverse-lookup
> on the hostname.
>
>   Is that what everyone is expected to do?

Assuming a recent BIND with IPv6, gethostbyaddr() takes ::ffff:132.241.66.6
and does the right thing (an in-addr.arpa search).  Paul Vixie documented
this in draft-vixie-ipng-ipv4ptr-00.txt, and since this draft has expired
he was going to submit a new version a week or so ago.  BIND does these
in-addr.arpa searches for IPv4-mapped and IPv4-compatible addresses.

	Rich Stevens