a 6bone topology discussion

bound@zk3.dec.com bound@zk3.dec.com
Mon, 27 Jan 97 11:57:35 -0500

Bob,

>1.  Agree among us who the "core" backbone sites are, based on them either
>being an ISP (e.g., WIDE, JOIN, G6, ESnet, CICNet) or someone seriously
>committed to simulating one, at least for this phase of the 6bone (e.g.,
>Bay, Cisco, Digital, NRL).

Digital Palo Alto Internet Exchange (PAIX) Digital-CA 6bone connection
is seriously committed to simulating for now and possibly into the
future IPv6 on the 6bone.  We would be glad to be a core backbone
router.  So add us to that list.

I think the topology you laid out is good and the idea of going next
door instead of cross country to get next door.  But there is one
problem and it may just be a Digital problem right now.  Let me explain.

In a few short weeks we will be defining a public strategy for IPv6 so
our customers can begin to use/deploy IPv6.  These will be the early
adopters.  These customers will want to connect to the 6bone and other
services as they are deployed for IPv6.  We intend to gurantee them a
level of service and support during this process.  So if we tell them we
will "take-care-of-and-support-you" at Digital-CA entry point it gives
them relief from some problems while connecting and real support.

So the customer may want to access the 6bone via Digital-CA even if they
are in Naples, Florida U.S. to obtain the support, etc. we provide via
Digital-CA.  As opposed to another core-backbone-router that is just up
and running and does not really have the resources to manage, support,
or assist users with the 6bone connection.

As you stated this should permitted, but must be controlled by
the core-backbone routers (e.g. Digital-CA, ESnet, CICnet).  I think
it very important that our map of the 6bone permit viewing of these leaf
nodes in some manner as the customer will want to see themselves on the
6bone drawing.  It also assists us to track the number and range of
users using IPv6 on the 6bone via the WWW.

If those that are going to ***really really*** take on being
core-backbone routers for the 6bone, and provide support, and would
like to discuss this with us to work something out geographically please
contact privately myself (bound@zk3.dec.com) and Stephen Stuart
(stuart@pa.dec.com) for that discussion.

/jim