weird RIP prefix: 5f00::/16

Arlie Davis arlie@thepoint.net
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 14:59:18 -0500

I'm new to the 6BONE and to real-world deployment of IP6, so please take
my question with a grain of salt.

I've noticed in a lot of the traffic discussing routes on this list,
that the length of the prefixes mentioned is quite small.  Is this
normal?  Is this a good thing?  If people are issued a /24 prefix under
IPv6, it allocates proportionally as much as allocating /24 in IP4
address space.

Is there something I don't understand, or are huge chunks of IP6 address
space being thrown about?

-- arlie