new tool prototypes -- routing/topology analysis

Craig Labovitz labovit@merit.edu
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 10:46:36 -0500

Hi,

We've modified some of our IPv4 routing stability/topology analysis tools for
use with IPv6 and the 6Bone.

The tools receive a real-time feed from our 6Bone routers (running MRTd and
using the built-in statistics collection services), and display maps of AS
topology, IPv6 instability during the day, and provides access to the 6Bone
"default-free" routing table.

See http://www.merit.edu/ipma/asexplorer/, or more generally
http://www.merit.edu/ipma/tools.

The tools are pretty primitive and of somewhat limited functionality. Still,
some of the data is a bit interesting -- we're seeing many of the same
pathological behaviors with IPv6 routing as we do with IPv4 (repeated,
duplicate withdraws and announcements, frequency components, etc.)

- Craig

--
Craig Labovitz				labovit@merit.edu
Merit Network, Inc.			http://www.merit.edu/~labovit