AS number

Magnus Ahltorp magnus@aladdin.se
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 21:07:43 +0100 (MET)

On the 6bone, ordinary AS numbers are used for the BGP4 routing
information interchange. This is a problem, since to be something else
than an ordinary leaf site requires an AS number. This means that "in the
real world" (i.e. the IPv4 community) you have to have an AS number of
your own.

In IPv4, our site (STACKEN) is connected via SUNET, and so is SICS. SICS
is for now STACKEN's only entry point to the 6bone. SICS uses the
SUNET-KTH AS number, which is also the AS number we could use.

Would it be possible to use a "temporary" or "reserved" AS number for the
routing? I have spoken with my "provider", and they say that it is
virtually impossible to get a real AS number. In fact, that is not
what I need.

Have anyone got any bright ideas around this?