Memphis IETF ngtrans-6bone WG minutes

Brian E Carpenter brian@hursley.ibm.com
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 09:34:19 +0100

The reason for the new AFI was that using the ICD didn't leave any
code point for future use by the IANA; the new AFI gives the IANA
a 16 bit code point for future use. This was done at the insistence
of the IANA; personally I'd have stayed with the ICD, but that's
water under the bridge.

Actually Juha Heinanen may want a second code point, to provide
a pure IPv4-in-ATM address embedding. He certainly hasn't expressed
concern about the new AFI value. He has found a minor error
in the RFC though (it doesn't spell out the complete IDP correctly,
as I recall without checking.)

  Brian Carpenter