Full 6BONE database now available in RIPE style database

davidk@isi.edu davidk@isi.edu
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 21:31:39 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

This is to inform you that I have installed a RIPE style database for the
6BONE registry. I have also converted *all* RIPE ftp registry data (from
this morning) to the new format as described by the draft that I posted
recently. This will make it possible to use this registry as the main
6BONE repository from now on, if desired so.

Note that there are some incompatibilities between the old and new format
which will only show up when updating the data in the registry. Just
check the draft if you find a problem when you try to update the data.
You might also see some funny entries that couldn't be fixed by my
conversion scripts. Just fix them manually. I would have liked to have
done a better job in that regard but I am simply lacking the time to
convert 125 objects manually...

There are some changes with the draft:

- I use the value '6BONE' in the source: attribute

- I have required the addition of the origin: AS (please let me know
  if this is a bad idea). I thought that this gives nice possibilities for
  lookups and some better idea how people derived their Ipv6 address space.

Biggest change from the ftp directory approach:

- contact information is stored in different objects (role or person
  objects). You will be required to use a NIC handle (RIPE, InterNIC or
  from another registry) in the contact: field. You can create your own
  person/role object with 6BONE NIC handle if you don't have a NIC handle
  of one of the registries yet. I already tried to create some
  person/role objects automatically. Just do a search for your object and
  you will find if this is the case for you.

- domain names are used instead of IP numbers. This makes it very easy to
  find out about the IPv6 and/or IPv4 number which is needed for some of
  the apllications that people are using on the 6BONE. Note that some of
  the old objects still contain IP numbers. They will not be accepted
  anymore when updating the data. It might be nice if somebody knows
  about a tool like 'host' that could support both an IPv4 & IPv6 lookup
  at the same time.

- syntax checking will make the quality of the data better and will allow
  people to write tools to handle the data (for example 6BONE maps ;-)).
  Please inform me of any bugs in the syntax checking code since it is
  very new. You can always use the remarks: attribute if you need to
  document features that are not available in the current format.

Known problems/missing features:

- The server can not resolve non-6BONE NIC handles yet. I plan to do
  something about this, time allowing. Just use a second query to the
  appropriate registry to find the data:

  no suffix/-ORG  whois.internic.net
  -RIPE           whois.ripe.net
  -APNIC          whois.apnic.net

- No 24/7 helpdesk is available. The database doesn't have a dedicated
  machine right now.

- I plan to make the full dump of the database available on a daily basis
  as soon as possible. I will put a copyright message with my name, USC &
  ISI in the data set to protect against abuse (spamming). Please let me
  know if you know a better organization for the copyright if such thing
  exists ...

- No nice web site with helpfull documents

- No web forms based interface (I might be doing this if I can find some
  time)

How to query the database:

use:

$ whois -h brind.isi.edu SearchKey

(or as an alternative: 'telnet brind.isi.edu whois'
 and type the SearchKey when you are connected)

$ whois -h brind.isi.edu HELP

will send you the help/howto file on howto find and update objects.

Please check out the document for howto create, update or delete your
objects in a RIPE style database. It is not difficult but it helps a lot
if you have read the document (particurlarly the NIC handle section if
you need to create a person/role object). Note that the actual formats
are described in the internet draft. Send your updates by E-mail to:

auto-dbm@ISI.EDU

Your update will be done and you will usually receive an acknowledgement
message in just a few seconds.

The following whois tools are available for those of you who don't have a
version of whois OR want to use the full capabilities of the RIPE whois
server.

ftp://ftp.ripe.net/tools/ripe-whois*.tar.gz

Some interesting examples:

The objects have the same name as the RIPE filename. Just do a search for
your object by doing for example:

$ whois -h brind.isi.edu CSELT

$ whois -h brind.isi.edu 5F16:4D00::/32

Search first level more specifics (be carefull to specify a correct IPv6
prefix/address or the server will only do a 'string' based search):

$ whois -h brind.isi.edu -M  5F16:4D00::/32

Search all more specifics:

$ whois -h brind.isi.edu -M  5F16:4D00::/32

Search all less specifics:

$ whois -h brind.isi.edu -L  5F16:4D00::/33

Find all objects with origin AS=Your(Providers)AS
(note: there are curently no objects with this attribute specified
       since it is a new feature. Just add the attribute to your ipv6
       object and try this feature)

$ whois -h brind.isi.edu -i origin Your(Providers)AS

Don't hesitate to experiment a bit by adding an object or doing some
query trials but please remove any experimental objects after use.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. I might react a
bit delayed though, since I am very busy with some other IETF related work ...

I hope this helps,

David K.
---