Question regarding RFC1897?

rob.glenn@nist.gov rob.glenn@nist.gov
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 12:33:16 -0400 (EDT)

Now that I've been bitten by the majordomo "sender must be subscribed" feature,
here is my third attempt at sending this...

While setting up our internal networks and DNS with RFC1897 addresses,
I became puzzled by the address format.

Assuming that there are very good reasons to use the *providers* ASN,
wouldn't it make more sense to use the IPv4 Network Address to represent
the Network Address given to you by the provider?  In other words
If you have a class A address the IPv4 Network Address field would be
0x0000AA, class B address would be 0x00BBBB, and so on.   Then the Subnet
field could contain the remaining bits.

As it is currently defined, it is difficult to setup reverse DNS records.
Providers will have to maintain records for each IPv4 subnet that sites
want to run with IPv6.  Collisions may occur when sites don't work with
their providers.  Or in some cases, sites won't setup the reverse DNS just
to avoid this problem.

Ofcourse, if you use your own ASN, the problems go away.

Rob G.
rob.glenn@nist.gov