6Bone Mail

Craig Metz cmetz@inner.net
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 13:45:06 -0400

In message <199609111723.KAA01887@stilton.cisco.com>, you write:
>>> => there are three solutions for the dynamic routing of the 6 bone:
>
>    I say there is four.
>
>    - Use static routing. Build a backbone of nodes so most connected (tail)
>      sites use prefix 0/0 to get to the backbone. Their tunnel endpoint
>      routers are configured with a /64 for the site (and other sites they
>      connect). The backbone routers pass around /32 (routes on AS numbers
>      only).
>
>    This should hold us for a long time until the specs are stable.

	This is exactly what is being done now, and it works just fine.

	I will make one critical correction, however: leaves should use a
"default" route of 5f00::0/8 to help prevent implementation bugs from causing
bogon (multicast, link-local, IPv4-compatible, etc.) addresses from going down
tunnels.

									-Craig