secondary name server that understands AAAA records

bound@zk3.dec.com bound@zk3.dec.com
Tue, 03 Sep 96 23:29:01 -0400

Kevin,

AAAA is just another RR type.  If BIND don't find AAAA record condition
is returned to resolver not found.  Then go look for A RR type.  I don't
see what the problem is or would be unless folks are trying to alter
BIND Server code?  Good luck.

As far as transition spec.  Secondaries are not required in DNS (though
useful).  Some of the transition spec was left to common sense.  If you
want a secondary that supports AAAA records and it don't do IPv6 that
just seems dumb.  I don't think we should have to specify this in that
spec. But clearly useful for documentation as we roll out our kits and
products as vendors.

/jim