6bone map change and COLORFUL ADDITIONS :-)

Jonathan Day jcday@jpd.ch.man.ac.uk
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 17:51:46 +0000 (GMT)

> The map makes it clear that if we were to run RIP now, or any
> non-policy-based routing protocol, most sites would be carrying
> transit traffic.  Perhaps we should put it on our agenda to clean up
> and simplify the connectivity to more closely model the sort of
> network we intend to build.

Hmmmm. Is it a good idea to tidy up, at this stage? If people start
using IPv6 (as opposed to developing) on a large scale, whilst the
layout is still messy, you know that everything will still work
(albeit better) when the connections are tidied. It's not always so
predictable, if you start simple and increase the complexity.

(I've heard that the loss of the transatlantic link between the UK
and the US for 2, maybe 2.5 weeks, last year, was due in part to
the network at either end becoming too complex.)

I'd have thought that the 6bone, as it stands, is ideally suited to
testing under unusual conditions, which, of course, are the sort of
situations you most need reliability and good performance.

Jonathan