Objective / Tasks / Next Steps .....

bound@zk3.dec.com bound@zk3.dec.com
Sun, 24 Mar 96 14:27:41 -0500

Hi,

Sorry I am a bit late.  Day job is getting very IPv6 intensive for me.

Per our meeting at the IETF L.A. meeting.  This is a draft and can we
have some discussion.

Once we get this past a draft stage we can send out to folks to enhance
our mail list and to the IPv6 implementors list.

Can we get a volunteer to write up the charter of the 6Bone ?????

    **************  DRAFT 6Bone *******************

Objective:

   To establish an Internet 6Bone network to foster the development
   and communications of IPv6.  The model will be based from the
   experience based on the Mbone.

   Three initial core geographic areas will be established with focused
   DRIs:
    - Asia (Jun Murai - via WIDE)
    - U.S. (ISI seems to be the right place Mike Carlton ??)
    - Europe (Brian Carpenter to suggest names.  This is done Brian
              sent me some names I will contact.)

   These DRIs would coordinate the 6Bone effort in each geography and
   verify persons or entities would log their participation on the
   6Bone.

   Name - Two different names suggested:

      Globabl IPv6 Infrastructure (GII).. Not politically good.  But
      this is the one I gave Jun for his Miti proposal for now.

      Information IPv6 Infrastructure (or I-Cubed)....

      Can we resolve this now ?????

   Hardware/Software:

      Initially use existing IPv6 implementors to get started and
      existing IPv6 Tunnel networks today.

      We need to get a commit from vendors to donate or provide at
      a reduced cost Hardware and Software for IPv6 Hosts and Routers.

      Need solid spec for RIPv6 to get the initial routing underway.
      A public domain RIPv6 would be nice ????

      Jun Murai will attempt funding to set up IPv6 first in WIDE
      and then in Asia.

      ES-NET and WIDE may be able to connect via same T1 link in
      SanFrancisco provider.

      Need a list of public domain software pointers.

      Need a WEB page or added words to IPng page.

      Need to have White Board/VAT running on IPv6.

   Network Topology:

      Need to define IPv6 legs and tunnels in each geography so
      we can get an idea of how this can work.

Tasks:

  1.  Select a name. (This List)
  2.  6bone Charter and Announcment (Volunteer Needed ???)
  3.  Asia Logistics (Jun Murai In Process)
  4.  U.S. Logistics (Mike Carlton Need to know if ISI can take this on)
  5.  European Logistics (Brian Carpenter/Jim Bound In Process)
  6.  Network Topology of 6Bone INIT (This list working with geography
                                      contacts)
       o  Links between Asia-U.S. / Europe-U.S.
       o  DNS Root Name Servers and Secondaries
       o  IPv6 Routing Legs
       o  Required Software for Legs and Tunnels
  7.  Determine use and applicaitons for 6bone (This list)
  8.  Message to IPv6 Implementors, ISPs, NAPs, etc.. (This list
          but above tasks should be pretty much complete).

What else do we need to discuss or add to the above?

thanks
/jim