more tunnels and what to do next (fwd)

Steve Deering deering@parc.xerox.com
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 15:00:19 PDT

> That's what I am currently doing and it works, but as Alain pointed
> out that we don't want a star topology. I agree fully with Alain's
> idea which has always been my chant, i.e. do heirachial routing.

I think that an approximate star topology, i.e., a small mesh of "backbone"
routers, with individual sites connected as leaves to the nearest one
or two backbone routers, would be just fine for a while.  If you want to
exploit a richer topology and get out of the static configuration game,
then use a dynamic routing protocol, like RIPng.  Hierarchical routing
is what you do when flat routing gets too big -- I don't think that'll
be the case at least for the next 6 months.

Steve