more tunnels and what to do next (fwd)

Steve Deering deering@parc.xerox.com
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 14:02:30 PDT

Obviously, manual configuration of routes gets unmanageable pretty quickly --
it's only tolerable for a few tens of routes.  Routers in stub subtrees
need not keep all the routes, just the local ones plus default, so we can
can probably tolerate manual config at the edges for some time.  However,
for those more centrally located routers, I think we should exert effort
to get RIPng deployed and working -- that ought to be relatively
straightforward, and in my opinion, a better use of time than tryng to
get agreement on yet another interim addressing plan.

Flat routing with RIPng should suffice for hundreds of routes; beyond that,
we clearly need hierarchical routing, but that should probably also
coincide with moving to "real" addresses, rather than the test addresses.

Steve