RIPng

Masaki Hirabaru masaki@merit.edu
Fri, 09 Aug 1996 12:22:53 -0400

> > If RIPng doesn't use link-local addresses as the source address,
> > routed can determine the interface where RIPng comes by checking its
> > source address with address of interface.
> >
> The source address IS the address of the interface where RIPng comes from.

Current my solution is to let the ripng daemon know the
(link-local) address of the other end in configuration. When
receiving a ripng packet, the ripng daemon checks if its source
address is the destination address of one of tunnels, if fails
then asks ND. I'm not sure that letting the daemon know a remote
link-local address is good thing or not, but there is no ND
available on a tunnel.

> > Currently, routed require special interface to determine the
> > interface (ask ND, or extented recvfrom()).
> >
> It sounds that routed is fundamentally broken.
>
> > Atsushi Onoe, WIDE Project
> >
> Dimitry

On inria ipv6, they intend to use ND. Its method I saw in its
ping6 code is to try connect() and then getsockname() in order to
know the local interface where the sender host is on.

Masaki