6bone Routing [was RIPng & tunnels]

Dimitry Haskin dhaskin@baynetworks.com
Mon, 5 Aug 96 13:48:59 EDT

Jan,

> There is no such thing as real IPv6 addresses. It shouldn't be needed
> either; if people can't renumber at the flick of a switch, then I don't
> think we have met all the requirements for IPv6.
>
> I have suggested it before, but I think it's worth repeating:
> when developments gets a little further, then I think it makes
> sense to make some kind of 'master-router-announcer' that would
> 'announce' the prefix of 6bone. This prefix would change frequently
> (I'm thinking about 15 minutes, but one day is acceptable),
> and the whole cloud would automatically renumber and phase out the
> old prefix.

Given that routers don't act on Router Advertisements from other routers
I have a hard time to see how the 'master-router-announcer' can make
the whole IPv6 cloud to renumber.  As it stands now, it would require
flicks of many switches (as many as there are routers) to renumber
the entire cloud.  It might be possible (albeit hard) to renumber by commands
from a maser network management station provided we had a set of standard
configuration tools implemented by every router vendor.  But this is not
here as yet.  Any news from the IPv6 MIB WG, BTW?

Dimitry