more tunnels and what to do next (fwd)

Steve Deering deering@parc.xerox.com
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 08:34:14 PDT

Brian,

> If you have a solution for geographic addressing that works,
> unlike all previous attempts, pls write it up.

ftp://parcftp.xerox.com/pub/net-research/metro-addr-slides-jul95.ps

OK, so that's not the kind of write-up you were asking for.  (Allison
was also saying "pls write it up".)  But I was unaware of any proof that
it doesn't work.

Exactly which failed "attempts" at geographic addressing are you referring
to?

(Note: there are [at least] two distinct classes of "geographic" addressing
that have been proposed: (1) addressing by latitude and longitude, e.g.,
the recent GPS addressing draft, and (2) "exchange-based" addressing using
regional provider interconnects, of which metro-based addressing is one
specific example.  They have significantly different properties, so we
need to be careful to disambiguate which we are talking about.  For example,
lat/long addressing would certainly exacerbate, rather than relieve, the
routing scaling problem; the same is not true of exchange-based addressing.)

Steve