RIPng & what to do next.

Pedro Roque Marques roque@di.fc.ul.pt
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 15:01:01 +0100

    >> To give you the example i know off, it is not very
    >> interesstening to have a machine capable of RIPng but not
    >> capable of configured tunneling, that can't delete routes, has
    >> random source address selection and so on. I'm not complaining,
    >> they do a better job than i

    Alain> Let me say I disagree on this particular point.  The IPv6
    Alain> network I run at IMAG already has two separates networks
    Alain> and will grow up to 5 or 6 by the end of August with
    Alain> different routers.  In those nets, I use native IPv6 other
    Alain> ethernet. I need RIPng code now.  And to connect this to
    Alain> the G6-bone or the 6-bone, I only need one tunneling
    Alain> machine that I already have.

I think i'm not making myself very clear.

On the particular example i was giving the machine picks, 50% of the
times, a link local source address when talking to a host on another
ethernet via a router. Even if you have the best routing solution in
the world that machine is not going to be able to communicate much.

This is just one particular example.

I don't disagree when you say we need routing protocols. I disagree
when people suggest that we should stop the show until we get routing
protocols because, with the current state of the art, machines crash all
over when you try something less common.

Do we agree on this ? I would think so.

If people want to start coding routing deamons i'll try to do anything
i can do to help. This includes coding routing sockets which is
something i still don't have.

regards,
  Pedro.