more tunnels and what to do next (fwd)

bound@zk3.dec.com bound@zk3.dec.com
Thu, 01 Aug 96 00:05:56 -0400

Steve,

>By the way I thought the large addresses were created for heirachial routing
>and 6bone was something experimental where we can try this out.

This is what is bugging me.  We have to be able to play and experiment
now as I think IPv6 will be deployed in the market 1 year from now and
on the Internet and on Intranets.  I hope the big ISPs join in but if
they don't lots of small ones will and I think the mgmt consulting firms
too who will be ISPs for Intranets that are fortune 100 companies. We
will have no time like the present to play like this again (unless we
keep an IPv6 research Internet up which is a really good thing to do
IMHO) and I think that is what I and others are wanting to do.  Not cast
anything in concrete or even build or change an existing IPv6 draft. I
am totally convinced IPv6 must be deployed and real products can be
built to gain revenune, market share, and $$$$ for anyone wishing to
move users to IPv6.  So we have about 1 year to get this right on the
6bone.  I realize we don't want to waste our time either.  We have
gotten a lot of good ideas for IPv6 from the implementor meetings and
implementations in general.   I think the 6bone can do that for us too
especially around transition.

/jim