RIPng

bound@zk3.dec.com bound@zk3.dec.com
Wed, 31 Jul 96 19:18:16 -0400

If we are not going to do RIPng in 1 month then lets use Alain's scheme for
now at least for the star topology.

And I am listening more to people who are sending packets on the network
and doing this real time than the theories to get this up and running.
ESPECIALLY IF THEY TELL SOMEONE WORKING THEIR BUTT OFF THAT THEIR IDEA
IS TERRIBLE (they almost got a real flameagram from me on that one).

And I have respect for those who were at the bake-off and ran real code
under test with other implementations than those who did not.  Nov 96 will be
the next bake off hope we have more implementations.

This is the 6bone list not the IETF list and different rules.  We need to
see what happens via deployment of IPv6 thats the purpose of this work
not to appease any interests other than that.

Right now we are 60 days ahead of where I thought we would be I think
this thing is going to explode and lots of users will be coming on
quick.  Based on my intelligence in the market.

Even if we do get RIPng working that does not fix the administrative
problems of configured tunnels.  I still think it needs to be automated
simply because its part of transition to IPv6.  We should be thinking
about that and if we come up with an idea do it.  Changing RFC 1897
might cause more pain than its worth, but I don't think we should rule
it out just yet.

/jim